The Winter Blues
I always find it hard to transition into the winter. I think once the temperature drops it's hard to get in that much needed outdoor time and I lose the will to go outside to exercise altogether. I have to force myself out of bed each morning and try to convince myself that before I know it I will be back home in my pajamas nice and warm! I feel like I see the same sort of seasonal shift in my kids too. So I have come up with 7 ways to say goodbye to the winter blues...
1. Change your alarm to a fun song instead of the same old boring ring tone!
2. If you can, set that timer on your thermostat to slightly higher about a half hour before you have to get out of bed in the morning, a warm room is much more inviting that coming out from under the covers to be chilly.
3. Have mason jars? Try some mason jar oatmeal, there's nothing more motivating than a fast hot breakfast waiting for you to enjoy!
4. Diffuse, diffuse, diffuse! I am fairly new to using essential oils but I am telling you there is an oil to help with everything! Try diffusing something citrus based to lift the mood of your house and make you feel warm when it's oh so cold!
5. When you get home before your reach for those fuzzy pajamas try the "fast five"
1. put one thing away
2. clean one thing
3. get one thing ready for the next day
4. write down one positive thing (dry erase boards are great for this, especially one with magnets attached to the fridge).
5. stand still for two minutes with your eyes closed and work on taking deep breaths
6. Lighting is everything! Find fun lamps for your space that will brighten the dark nights and early mornings and trick your mind into being awake!
7. Having trouble getting the kids outside? Make a scavenger hunt list of things for them to find and take pictures of or bring home! (something shiny, something round, something that doesn't make a sound etc.) At least then when you want to get a walk in, they will be entertained and not making you wish you never left home!
It's nice to embrace all the fun of each season, just don't let the short cold days get you down. Make your home a warm place full of routine and reasons to be on your feet! Don't take the winter months laying down!
Comments are closed.
Write something about yourself. No need to be fancy, just an overview.